Leaving Johnny Behind

During my 35 years as a teacher and principal in an economically depressed area, I witnessed firsthand the scourge we inflict upon our most vulnerable citizens because we failed to provide them with adequate literacy ability. In many cases this lack of an essential skill has been a death warrant to those who might otherwise have led productive lives and contributed meaningfully to society. Too many of our most promising youngsters turn to gangs and drugs because their literacy inadequacies essentially rob them of their freedom to make wiser choices.

1 comment:

kathy said...

This statement is so true and so very heart breaking. Children are little piles of clay ready to be molded any way we choose. One can see prejudice and bigotry being taught generation upon generation. A father's anger and rage is carried on to the son. A mother's attitude toward her husband is felt in the daughter's marriage. I volunteer to hold, cuddle and rock the newborns at a local hospital and I see so much possibility in their little eyes and they are so fragile and helpless, I want to take them all home and teach them love, family, and how to live an honest, caring, compassionate life. I look at them as I leave and wonder what will this little one be taught by parents, teachers, peers and will they make it. Kathy