Let's Talk About Reading

Hello,

This blog is my attempt to generate a discussion regarding the manner in which we teach children to read. As a teacher and school administrator, I saw too many of our kids fall through the cracks. I therefore decided to conduct my own investigation into the research that surrounded early literacy training and to report my findings. The product of that effort is a book called Leaving Johnny Behind: Overcoming Barriers to Literacy and Reclaiming At-Risk Readers.

I will use this blog to communicate some of the various discoveries I made while analyzing the data and get your reactions to them. I feel there are several things we can do to build more and better readers and in so doing reduce the ever-increasing achievement gaps among poor and minority populations. I am hoping that we can have a stimulating dialogue as a means of pushing our agenda on behalf of all kids.

Tony Pedriana

3 comments:

kathy said...

Hi Tony, I have been a grandparent volunteer in my grandson's classroom since he was in kindergarten. It has been quite an experience watching the process unfold, seeing the kids acheive or fall behind as the teacher races through the day trying to get it all in. It will be interesting to read your thoughts on it as well in your book which I plan to buy!! Kathy (Acker) Tesmer kgtesmer@yahoo.com

Tony Pedriana said...

Hi Kathy,
Your involvement with your Grandson's learning no doubt puts him well ahead of the curve. Not all kids are fortunate enough to have a Grandma who has the time to monitor their progress and literally guarantee that they will have the literacy tools necessary to survive in this world. I commend you for your efforts.

Tony Pedriana

kathy said...

Hi Tony,
Every family has a wise old sage who can and certainly should take the time to help educate the children. It doesn't take a village but, it does take a family. I my family, I am that one, with my sisters and brothers, children and now my grand children. Kathy, O Wise One